點滴英語天天學第324期:雅思詞彙(184)
1. Expression:Joe (Average Joe)
Explanation:An average, unexceptional, or ordinary person, especially a boy or man. (普通男人,平庸的男人)
Example:Many Joes are very disillusioned with the present government.
許多人對現政府大失所望。
A: What is matter? You look blue.
怎麼啦?臉色不對啊!
B: I went for an interview but failed. What a foolish man the interviewer is——thinking me a Joe and shoose another guy.
我是參加面試,但是失敗了。那個面試官真是個傻子,把我當做平庸之輩,竟然選了另外一個人。
A: Don’t complain to me. You should learn this experience and work harder in future.
不要和我抱怨,你應該從這次經歷中吸取教訓,並且今後更加努力。
2. Expression:Jane (Average Jane)
Explanation:An average, unexceptional, or ordinary girl or woman. (平庸的女人,普通的女人)
Example:What sets me apart from your average Jane is my tenacity and ferocity in business.
使得我與平通女人不同的是我在商界的堅忍不拔和殘忍兇暴。
I'm as much a fan of the show as the average Jane, but I don't watch it religiously.
我和普通女人一樣也喜歡這個節目,但是我不是很認真地看。
3. Expression:a good Joe
Explanation:A nice, pleasant, and respectable male. (和藹,令人喜歡,令人尊敬的男人)
Example:He's a good Joe, sure, but there's just no chemistry between us.
當然,他是一個討人喜歡的男人,只是我們沒來電。
My friend's a good Joe—you can trust him.
我的朋友是個好男人,你可以信任他。