當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 口語英語學習材料 > 點滴英語天天學第314期:雅思詞彙(174)

點滴英語天天學第314期:雅思詞彙(174)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.07W 次

1. Expression:in the hole

點滴英語天天學第314期:雅思詞彙(174)

Explanation:Lacking money or some other resource; in debt. (負債,虧空,遇到經濟困難

Example:I'm really in the hole after that night at the casino.

在賭場的那晚之後,我就真的身無分文了。

I went into the hole on that deal and now I'm $200 in the hole.

我在那筆生意上虧了,現在負債200美元。

A:I have not seen Jane for ages, how is she going now?

我很久沒有見到Jane了,她現在怎麼樣呢?

B: You don’t know? She has been in the hole since two years ago.

你不知道嗎?他從兩年前就開始負債累累了。

A: Really? Then I must go to see her.

真的嗎?那我得去看看她。

2. Expression:burn a hole in the pocket

Explanation:It is usually applied to money, suggesting that the person with the money feels the need to spend it quickly. (把錢花光

Example:I bet John will spend all his money in a few days because the money is burning a hole in his pocket.

我敢說不出幾天約翰便會把錢花光,因爲他是個有錢便要花光的人。

Don't let that bonus burn a hole in your pocket—save it up for something you really want.

別花光那筆將近,把它存起來去買你真正需要的東西。

I knew that he would go out and buy everything he saw because the money was burning a hole in his pocket.

我知道他會出去使見到什麼買什麼,因爲他錢不花光就不痛快。

My allowance is burning a hole in my pocket! I can't wait until school is over, so I can go buy some baseball cards!

我的零花錢花光了——我等不到期末到來了,所以我去買了一些棒球卡。

3. Expression:in the red

Explanation:In debt. (負債,虧損,赤字

Example:Sales began to drop and the company was soon in the red. They had to sell the building.

銷售開始下跌,公司財務不久便虧損,他們只得把那幢大樓賣掉。

The annual budget of that company continues to show a deficit this year. It will go out of business because it is always in the red.

那家公司的今年年度預算繼續出現虧損。因爲公司時常出現赤字,不久將會關閉。

Now your company will end up financially in the red.

現在你們公司將在財政上以赤字告終。

I have so many outstanding parking tickets that I'll be in the red if I pay them all off at once!

我有這麼多未付清的違章停車罰單,如果我馬上把它們全部付清,我的財政就會出現赤字。

A: Jane has to sell her car, because her company has been in the red for years.

Jane不得不賣掉她的車,因爲她的公司已經虧損很多年了。

B: What a pity! I hope that I can help her.

真可憐!希望我能幫上忙。

A: Don’t worry about her. She will manage to pull through the terrible periond of time in the end.

別擔心她,她最終會度過這一難關的。