當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英語故事 > 中國寓言故事雙語版 第143期:戴高帽子

中國寓言故事雙語版 第143期:戴高帽子

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 3W 次

Presenting Tall Hats

中國寓言故事雙語版 第143期:戴高帽子
戴高帽子

The Chinese people call flattery to someone's face "presenting a tall hat" to someone.

中國人把當面說奉承話叫做給某人“戴高帽子”。

In the past, an official in the imperial court in Beijing was appointed to an official post outside the capital.

在古代,有一個在京城朝廷裏做官的人,奉命去外地做官。

Before departure, he went to his teacher's home to bid farewell. His teacher warned him:

臨行前,他去老師家告別。老師叮囑說:

"It is not easy to be an official outside the capital. You should be prudent and careful."

“外地的官不容易做,應當謹慎小心些纔好。”

The official replied:

那個做官的人回答說:

"Please don't worry. I have prepared 100 tall hats’,and will present one to each and every person I meet.I'm sure all the local people will be pleased."

“請老師放心,我準備了一百頂高帽子,逢人便送他一頂,管叫地方上人人高興。”

The teacher said reproachingly:

師生氣地說:

"We are all honest gentlemen. How can you do that?"

“我們都是正人君子,怎麼可以這樣做呢?”

The official pretended he had no way out and said:

那個做官的人裝着無可奈何的樣子說:

"Very few people under heaven are like you who dislike being flattered or presented with tall hats."

“天下不喜歡戴高帽子的人實在太少了啊!像老師您這樣的又能有幾個呢!”

Hearing this, the teacher was very much pleased. He nodded and said:

老師聽了很高興,點點頭說:

"What you said is true, too."

“你講的也不錯!”

After the official said farewell to his teacher and went out, he said to his friend:

那個做官的人告別老師出來後,對朋友說:

"Of my 100 `tall hats',now only 99 are left."

“我的一百頂高帽子,現在只剩下九十九頂了!”