當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英語故事 > 名著精讀:《小婦人》第五章:和睦鄰居 第3節

名著精讀:《小婦人》第五章:和睦鄰居 第3節

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.42W 次

The idea amused Jo, who liked to do daring things and was always scandalizing Meg by her queer performances. The plan of 'going over' was not forgotten. And when the snowy afternoon came, Jo resolved to try what could be done. She saw Mr. Lawrence drive off, and then sallied out to dig her way down to the hedge, where she paused and took a survey. All quiet, curtains down at the lower windows, servants out of sight, and nothing human visible but a curly black head leaning on a thin hand at the upper window.

名著精讀:《小婦人》第五章:和睦鄰居 第3節

“走過去"這個計劃一直在喬的腦海裏糾纏;這天下午雪花飄落時,喬決定採取行動。她看到勞倫斯先生坐車出了門,便開始挖路,一直挖到樹籬邊,這才停下來望望。四處悄無聲息--樓下窗戶簾幕低垂,傭人也全無蹤影,獨見樓上窗邊露出一個黑色鬈髮的腦袋靠在纖薄的手掌上。

"There he is," thought Jo, "Poor boy! All alone and sick this dismal day. It's a shame! I'll toss up a snowball and make him look out, and then say a kind word to him."

“他在上頭呢,”喬想,“多可憐的人!這麼陰沉沉的日子孤獨一人,鬱鬱不樂。簡直,豈有此理!我要拋個雪球上去,引他望過來,再跟他好好說上幾句話。”

Up went a handful of soft snow, and the head turned at once, showing a face which lost its listless look in a minute, as the big eyes brightened and the mouth began to smile. Jo nodded and laughed, and flourished her broom as she called out . . .

喬拋出一捧軟綿綿的雪花,樓上的人馬上轉過頭來,臉上無精打采的神情一掃而光,大眼睛閃閃發亮,嘴角露出笑意。喬點點頭笑了,揮舞着手中的掃帚叫道—-

"How do you do? Are you sick?" Laurie opened the window, and croaked out as hoarsely as a raven . . .

“你好嗎?是不是病了?”勞裏打開窗,像個渡鴉般嘶啞着嗓子答道--

"Better, thank you. I've had a bad cold, and been shut up a week."

“好點了,謝謝你。我得了重感冒,在屋裏關了一個星期了。”

"I'm sorry. What do you amuse yourself with?"

“真遺憾。有什麼消遣嗎?”

"Nothing. It's dull as tombs up here."

“沒有。這裏頭悶得像個墳墓。”

"Don't you read?"

“你不看書嗎?”

"Not much. They won't let me."

“不大看。他們不讓我看。”

"Can't somebody read to you?"

“沒有人念給你聽嗎?”

e v. 消遣,娛樂,使 ... 發笑

The boys amuse themselves by drawing caricatures of their teacher.
男孩子們以畫老師的漫畫取樂。

dalize vt. 令人憤慨,令人覺得可恥,令人丟臉

Scandalize the neighbours by sunbathing naked on the lawn
在草坪上作裸體日光浴教鄰居觸目驚心

r n. 同性戀者 adj. 奇怪的,不舒服的,可疑的

There is something queer about him.
他有些古怪。

y adj. 多雪的,被雪所覆蓋著的,下雪的

I like to go for a walk in the snowy streets.
我喜歡去雪中的街道上散步

e n. 樹籬,籬笆

They managed to wriggle (their way) through the thick hedge.
他們設法鑽過了厚厚的樹籬。

e n. 暫停,中止,猶豫不決 vi. 停頓,中止

There was a pregnant pause before she answered my question.
她耐人尋味地停頓了一下才回答我的問題。

y adj. 捲曲的

She has straight, not curly hair.
她的頭髮很直,不彎曲。

al adj. 陰沉的,淒涼的,暗的

We were all depressed by the dismal weather.
陰沉的天氣讓我們都感到壓抑。

ful['hændful] n. 少數,一把,棘手之事

He dipped into the bag and brought out a handful of sample wheat.
他把手伸進袋裏,取出一把小麥樣品。

less['listlis] adj. 無精打采的

She was very listless after her illness.
她病後懶洋洋的。

hten['braitn] vt. 使變亮,使生輝 vi. 發光,發亮

Flowers brighten (up) a room.
房間裏有了花顯得滿室生輝。

rish vi. 繁榮,茂盛,活躍,手舞足蹈 vt. 揮舞 n. 揮舞,華麗詞藻,茂盛,興旺,炫耀

She rushed in flourishing a document.
她急匆匆地走了進來,手裏揮舞着一份文件。

kv. 嗄嗄叫,發牢騷,<俚>死 n. 嗄嗄聲,哇哇聲

A bullfrog was croaking in the distance.
一隻牛蛙在遠處呱呱地叫。

sely adv. 嘶啞地

“Excuse me,” he said hoarsely.
“對不起。”他用嘶啞的嗓子說。

n n. 大烏鴉


  
when the snowy afternoon came, Jo resolved to try what could be done. She saw Mr. Lawrence drive off, and then sallied out to dig her way down to the hedge, where she paused and took a survey.

【句子翻譯】這天下午雪花飄落時,喬決定採取行動。她看到勞倫斯先生坐車出了門,便開始挖路,一直挖到樹籬邊,這才停下來望望。

【難句解析】resolved to do sth.“決心做某事”;drive off“驅散,擊退,趕走”;

He resolved to succeed .
他決心要取得成功。

I was about to drive off when I saw this huge lorry bearing down on me.
我正要驅車離開時,看到這輛大卡車氣勢洶洶地向我衝來。

2."There he is," thought Jo, "Poor boy! All alone and sick this dismal day. It's a shame! I'll toss up a snowball and make him look out, and then say a kind word to him."

【句子翻譯】喬拋出一捧軟綿綿的雪花,樓上的人馬上轉過頭來,臉上無精打采的神情一掃而光,大眼睛閃閃發亮,嘴角露出笑意。喬點點頭笑了,揮舞着手中的掃帚叫道—-

【難句解析】toss up“擲、扔”;

Let's toss up a penny for the chance to go first.
我們擲一枚一便士的硬幣來決定誰先去。

Who's going to cook tonight? Let's toss up.
今晚誰做飯? 咱們擲硬幣決定吧。

3."How do you do? Are you sick?" Laurie opened the window, and croaked out as hoarsely as a raven . . .

【難句解析】“你好嗎?是不是病了?”勞裏打開窗,像個渡鴉般嘶啞着嗓子答道--

【句子翻譯】...“和...一樣”;

Sam is as rich as Alexander.
山姆像亞歷山大一樣富有。

He has earned as much money as I have.
他賺的錢和我賺的一樣多。

4."I'm sorry. What do you amuse yourself with?"

【難句解析】“真遺憾。有什麼消遣嗎?”

【句子翻譯】amuse sb. with sth.“以...取樂”;

I often amuse myself with reading.
我常以讀書自樂。

He could amuse us for hours with his stories of the theater.
他能接連幾小時地爲我們講戲劇故事逗我們發笑。