當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英語故事 > 雙語暢銷書《我是馬拉拉》第14章:一種有趣的和平(11)

雙語暢銷書《我是馬拉拉》第14章:一種有趣的和平(11)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.75W 次

We were shocked. It was like when you pour water onto a blazing fire – the flames are suddenly extinguished.

雙語暢銷書《我是馬拉拉》第14章:一種有趣的和平(11)
我們都很震驚。就如同將冷水潑向熊熊燃燒的大火,火焰忽然熄滅了,

People were bitterly disappointed and started abusing him. 'What did that devil say?' people asked.

人們極度失望,並開始咒罵他:“那個惡魔在說些什麼?

'He's not for peace; he wants more killing.'

他不是在尋求和平,他要的是更多的殺戮。”

My mother put it best. 'He had the chance to be the hero of history but didn't take it,' she said.

我母親說得最好。她說:“他本來有機會成爲一名歷史英雄,但他放棄了。”

Our mood on the way home was the exact opposite of what we had felt on the way to the meeting.

我們走在回家路上時的情緒,正好與我們出門要去參加集會時的感受完全相反。

That night my father spoke on Geo TV and told Kamran Khan that people had had high hopes but were disappointed.

那天晚上,父親接受新聞頻道訪問。他告訴卡姆蘭·汗,人民原本高度期待,現在則失望透頂。

Sufi Mohammad didn't do what he should have done.

蘇菲·穆罕默德沒有做他該做的事情。

He was supposed to seal the peace deal with a speech calling for reconciliation and an end to violence.

他本該通過演講呼籲彼此和解,終結暴力,以促成和平協議的最終實現。

People had different conspiracy theories about what had happened.

對於所發生的事情,民衆提出了各種不同的陰謀論。

Some said Sufi Mohammad had gone mad.

有些人說蘇菲·穆罕默德瘋了。

Others said he had been ordered to deliver this speech and been warned, 'If you don't, there are four or five suicide bombers who will blast you and everyone there.'

其他人則說他被要求發表這場演說,同時受到了恐嚇:“如果你不照此辦理,將有四五名自殺式炸彈襲擊者把你和在場的每一個人都炸成碎片。”

People said he had looked uneasy on stage before he spoke.

人們說在演講開始之前,蘇菲·穆罕默德在臺上顯得心事重重。

They muttered about hidden hands and unseen forces.

他們口中咕噥着那些幕後的黑手和看不見的勢力。

What does it matter? I wondered. The point is we are a Taliban state.

“有什麼差別嗎?”我心想,“重點是,我們已經變成了一個塔利班國家。”