當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英語故事 > 雙語暢銷書《艾倫圖靈傳》第4章:彼岸新星(42)

雙語暢銷書《艾倫圖靈傳》第4章:彼岸新星(42)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.58W 次

As he forecast, he failed to gain a Cambridge appointment.

ing-bottom: 70.63%;">雙語暢銷書《艾倫圖靈傳》第4章:彼岸新星(42)
和艾倫想的一樣,他沒有獲得劍橋的教席。

Ingham wrote from King's, encouraging him to stay for another year, and this made up his mind.

英哈姆從國王學院寫信給他,鼓勵他在普林斯頓再留一年,這讓他做了決定。

He wrote on 19 May:

5月19號,他寫信說:

I have just made up my mind to spend another year here, but I shall be going back to England for most of the summer in accordance with previous programme.

我已經決定了,在這裏再留一年,但我必須按照之前的計劃,夏天回英國避暑。

Thank you very much for your offer of help with this:

感謝你對我的資助,

I shall not need it, for if I have this Procter as the Dean suggests I shall be a rich man, and otherwise I shall go back to Cambridge.

我想我可能並不需要了,如果照院長說的,我能得到保潔獎學獎,那我將會很寬裕,否則的話,我就應該回劍橋。

Another year here on the same terms would be rather an extravagance. …

如果再以這樣的方式留在這裏,那就有點太奢侈了……

My boat sails June 23.

我將於6月23日啓程,

I might possibly do a little travelling here before the boat goes,

出發前我會在這裏旅遊一下,

as there will be very little doing here during the next month and it's not a fearfully good time of year for work.

這個季節不太適合工作。

More likely I shall not as I don't usually travel for the sake of travelling.

我也有可能不旅遊,我不想爲了旅遊而旅遊。

I am sorry Maurice won't be here next year. He has been very good company.

很遺憾莫瑞斯明年就走了,他是一個很好的夥伴。

I am glad the Royal Family are resisting the Cabinet in their attempt to keep Edward VIII's marriage quiet.

很高興王室堅持對抗內閣,維持愛德華八世的婚姻。