當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 口語英語學習材料 > 點滴英語天天學第320期:雅思詞彙(180)

點滴英語天天學第320期:雅思詞彙(180)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.05W 次

1. Expression:IOU

ing-bottom: 66.56%;">點滴英語天天學第320期:雅思詞彙(180)

Explanation:A written promise or reminder to pay a debt. (借條,借據,欠條

Example:A: Tina, can I bum 100 bucks out of you? I can write you an IOU.

Tina,你借100美元給我,我可以寫借條給你。

B: No way, Tom. I have already got too many IOUs from you.

不行,Tom。我這兒有一大堆你的借條了。

We undercharged Mr. Smith and have to send him an IOU for the extra amount .

我們少收了史密斯先生的錢,只得給他寄去一張借條索要欠款。

I haven' t any money. Can I give you an IOU for $ 10 ?

我沒錢了,我可以給你一張借條借十塊錢嗎?

2. Expression:It takes two to tango.

Explanation:Two parties involved in a certain action or situation. (一個巴掌拍不響

Example:Your son blames mine for their fight at school but it generally takes two to tango.

你兒子把在學校打架的事情怪在我兒子頭上,但是通常是“一個巴掌拍不響”。

We won't be able to get this deal underway unless your company is willing to compromise. It takes two to tango, after all.

除非貴公司願意妥協,否則我們無法達成這筆交易。畢竟,一個巴掌拍不響。

Alan: You're always arguing! Stop arguing all the time.

你總是愛爭論,別總是爭論。

Jane: I can't argue all by myself. It takes two to tango.

我自己又不可能和自己爭論,一個巴掌拍不響。

Fred: Did you hear? Janice got herself pregnant.

你聽說Janice懷孕了嗎?

Jill: Well, she didn't do it all by herself. Takes two to tango, you know.

嗯,這又不是她一個人能夠做到的。你知道的“一個巴掌拍不響”。

3. Expression:Jack of all trades

Explanation:A person who is skilled in many different areas.(雜而不精的人,樣樣懂一些的

Example:Peter's never stayed at anything long enough to become an expert. He's something of a jack of all trades.

彼得做任何事情都不持久,因而也成不了行家能手,頗像個樣樣都會一點,但一樣都不精通的人。

My father could fix cars, build furniture, and program computers—he was a jack of all trades.

我父親會修車,會做傢俱,會編程——他是個萬事通,但不精通。

Bill can do plumbing, carpentry and a little bit gardening. He is really a Jack of all trades.

Bill會做管工,木工,還會點園藝,他真是樣樣會做啊!

Why did you do such a lousy job? You are a Jack of all trades.

爲什麼你把事情做得那麼糟?你樣樣都懂,但不精通。