當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英語故事 > 中國寓言故事雙語版 第74期:自知之明

中國寓言故事雙語版 第74期:自知之明

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.43W 次

ing-bottom: 64.65%;">中國寓言故事雙語版 第74期:自知之明

In ancient times a man named Zou Ji, 8 chi tall and impressive looking, had served as the prime minister of the State of Qi.

古代齊國有個人名叫鄒忌,身高八尺,相貌堂堂,曾經做過齊國的相國。

One morning, he tidied his clothes and hat, looked into the mirror, and asked his wife:

一天早晨,他整整衣服帽子,照照鏡子,問妻子:

"Look, who is more handsome, Xu Gong living in the north of the city or I?"

“你看,我跟住在城北的徐公比,誰長得漂亮?”

His wife replied: "You are far more handsome. Xu Gong is no match for you!"

妻子回答說: “你漂亮多了。徐公哪裏比得上你呢!

Xu Gong of the north of the city was a well-known handsome man in the State of Qi.

城北的徐公,是齊國有名的美男子。

Zou Ji really didn't believe he was more handsome than Xu Gong. So he asked his concubine:

鄒忌真的不相信自己比徐公長得漂亮。於是,又問他的妾說:

"Look, who is more handsome, Xu Gong or I?"

“你看,我同徐公比,哪個漂亮些?”

His concubine also said: "Xu Gong is no match for you!"

妾也說: “徐公怎麼比得上你漂亮呢?”

The next day, a guest came to discuss some matter with him.

第二天,有個客人來找他,跟他商談一件事情。

Zou Ji asked his guest the same question: "Who is more handsome, Xu Gong or I?"

鄒忌又問客人說: “我與徐公誰長得美呢?”

The guest answered positively: "Xu Gong is not as handsome as you."

客人肯定地回答說: “徐公不如你美。”

Another day passed and Zou Ji met Xu Gong in person.

又過了一天,鄒忌見到了徐公。

He stared closely at the other for some time and carefully compared him with himself.

他緊緊地盯着他看了一陣,又把自己和他仔細地比較了一番。

He really couldn't see that he was more handsome than Xu Gong.

實在看不出自己比徐公漂亮。

Later, he again looked into the mirror.

後來,再去照照鏡子。

The more he looked at himself, the more he felt he was not as handsome as Xu Gong.

越看越覺得自己不及徐公。

Zou Ji was rather restless in his mind.

鄒忌心裏很不平靜。

At night, lying on the bed, he pondered: He was not as handsome as Xu Gong, but why did these three persons say he was more handsome?

晚上,他躺在牀上,想來想去,自己本來不及徐公,爲什麼這三個人都說自己美呢?

In the end, he came to understand the reason: "My wife says I am handsome because she shows favouritism to me.

最後,他終於明白了:“妻子說我漂亮,是因爲偏愛我。

My concubine says I am handsome because she is afraid of me.

妾說我漂亮,是因爲怕我。

My guest says I am handsome because he wants to curry my favour."

客人說我漂亮,是因爲有意討好我。”