當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 實用生活英語口語 > The english we speak(BBC教學)第118期:Lairy 俗氣的

The english we speak(BBC教學)第118期:Lairy 俗氣的

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.38W 次

The english we speak(BBC教學)第118期:Lairy 俗氣的

Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Neil.

尼爾:大家好,歡迎來到地道英語節目,我是尼爾。

Li: And I'm Li. Did you stay much longer last night at the office party?

李:我是李。昨天的辦公室聚會你又待了一會兒嗎?

Neil: Yes I did. After you left we went on to a bar in the City.

尼爾:是啊。昨天你離開以後我們又去了市裏的一家酒吧。

Li: Oh sounds good! We had an office party last night. I left early but Neil and a few colleagues went on to a bar in the city of London–the financial district. How was it?

李:聽起來真好!昨天我們有辦公室聚會。我提早離開了,不過尼爾和一些同事還去了倫敦市金融區的一家酒吧,那裏怎麼樣?

Neil: Actually it was pretty bad. There were all these traders getting drunk and shouting a lot about their cars and expensive clothes and holidays. You know, they were just really lairy.

尼爾:實際上非常糟糕。所有的商人都喝醉了,他們大聲炫耀着他們的車和昂貴的衣服還有假期。你知道,他們真的非常俗氣。

Li: They were what?

李:他們很什麼?

Neil: Lairy.

尼爾:俗氣。

Li: Lairy. This adjective is used to describe people, usually men, behaving in a loud, excited and slightly aggressive way. So it wasn't much fun?

李:俗氣。這個形容詞通常用來形容大聲說話、情緒激動又有些囂張的男性。所以沒有太多樂趣嗎?

Neil: No, they made it miserable for everyone else in the place, to be honest.

尼爾:沒有,說實話,他們讓在那裏的其他人都很痛苦。

Li: So the bar was full of drunk and noisy men. They were talking loudly about their expensive things. They sound very lairy. Here's another example of the word.

李:所以那家酒吧全是喝醉又吵鬧的男人。他們大聲地談論他們的貴重物品。他們聽上去很俗氣。下面有這個詞的其他例子。

Example

例子

A: Shall we go shopping in Kensington on Saturday afternoon?

A:週六下午我們去肯辛頓購物好嗎?

B: I'd love to but I hate getting the Tube to Kensington on a Saturday. It's always full of lairy Chelsea fans on their way to the football.

B:我很想去,可是我討厭週六坐地鐵去肯辛頓。地鐵裏擠滿了俗氣的去看足球比賽的切爾西球迷。

A: Yes, you're right. It's really scary when they're so drunk and shouting and singing. How about somewhere else?

A:你說得對。他們喝醉以後,又喊又叫真的很可怕。那去其他地方怎麼樣?

Neil: Those women don't want to get the Tube near the Chelsea football ground on a Saturday because the fans travelling to the stadium are often drunk and shouting and singing. They're lairy.

尼爾:那些女生不想週六在切爾西球場附近坐地鐵,因爲那些去球場的球迷經常處於喝醉的狀態,而且還會喊叫和唱歌。他們非常俗氣。

Li: Yes, I've been in that situation too. It's not much fun. So, this word 'lairy': is it common?

李:對,我也曾遇到過這種情況。沒那麼好玩。所以這個詞很常用嗎?

Neil: I'd say it's quite common, but slang. And you wouldn't often write it. But you'll hear British and Australian people using it; especially in the situations we've talked about.

尼爾:我得說非常常用,但它是俚語。通常寫作中不會經常用到。不過你會聽到英國人和澳大利亞人使用這個詞;尤其是剛剛我們談過的那些情況。

Li: Anything else I need to know?

李:還有其他我要知道的嗎?

Neil: Yes, you should use the word in combination with 'blokes'. This is British slang meaning 'men'.

尼爾:有,你可以和傢伙這個詞一起用。這個俚語在英語中的意思是男人。

Li: Lairy blokes.

李:俗氣的傢伙。

Neil: That's right. That's all from us, but we'll leave you with the sound of lairy blokes watching football.

尼爾:沒錯。這就是我們今天節目的所有內容,不過我們會把俗氣的傢伙觀看足球比賽的聲音留給你們。

Li: Bye!

李:再見!

Neil: Bye!

尼爾:再見!

(Angry football crowd)

(生氣的足球觀衆)

重點講解:
1. to be honest
老實說;說實在的;
eg. To be honest, I just don't want to go.
說心裏話,我真不想去。
eg. To be honest, I am not all that optimistic we will pass the exam.
老實說,我對我們能否通過考試不那麼樂觀
2. be full of
有大量…的;滿是…的;
eg. His songs are full of dirge.
他的歌充滿了憂傷。
eg. He was full of youthful idealism.
他滿腦子都是年輕人的理想主義。
3. in combination with
與…聯合,與…結合;
eg. He carried on the business in combination with his friends.
他與朋友們合夥做生意。
eg. They are most suitable when used in combination with the quick-acting chemicals.
要是與快速作用的化學藥品合用,它們是最合適的。