The english we speak(BBC教學)第141期:Bounce 離開
William: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is William Kremer.
威廉:大家好,歡迎收聽地道英語節目。我是威廉·克萊默。Li: I'm Yang Li.
莉:我是楊莉。William: Li, do you mind if we don't look at a phrase today?
威廉:莉,我們今天不學習短語,你介意嗎?
Li: Don't look at a phrase? So what do you want to do today instead?
莉:不學習短語?那你今天想做什麼呢?William: Erm, nothing actually. I've got to go and meet a friend at the airport.
威廉:嗯,實際上也沒什麼。我要去機場接一個朋友。Li: So what are you saying, William? That you don't have time for today's programme?
莉:威廉,你在說什麼?你沒有時間主持今天的節目了嗎?William: Is that all right?
威廉:這樣行嗎?Li: Oh well...
莉:哦……William: Well, thanks Li! I'm just going to bounce.
威廉:嗯,謝謝你,莉!我要離開了。Li: Hey, William, wait, wait! What do you mean? What did you say just now?
莉:嘿,威廉,等等!你是什麼意思?你剛剛說了什麼?William: I'm just going to bounce; I'm going to leave.
威廉:我要離開了;我要走了。Li: I think we need to hear another example of that phrase.
莉:我想我們需要聽聽這個短語的其他例子。Man: Hey Tom-where are you going? The party's just getting started!
男:嗨,湯姆,你要去哪啊?派對馬上就要開始了!Man 2: Ah sorry dude, I gotta bounce. I'm on an early shift tomorrow.
男2:啊,抱歉,夥計,我要走了。我明天要上早班。Li: In that clip we heard someone saying he had to leave a party.
莉:剛剛我們聽到一個人說他必須要從聚會上離開。William: Yes, that's right. He said "I gotta bounce".
威廉:對,沒錯。他說“我要離開了”。Li: To bounce usually means for something to go up and down. But where does this slang usage come from, William?
莉:bounce通常是指某個東西上下晃動。不過威廉,這個俚語來自哪裏?William: Well, 'bounce' meaning 'to leave' comes from the USA and it's urban slang, so it's something that young cool kids might say.
威廉:bouce這個詞的離開一意來自美國,這是一個城市俚語,這是一個很酷的孩子們會使用的詞。Li: Not you, then.
莉:那就不是你用的詞了。William: What do you mean?
威廉:你什麼意思?Li: Well you're not young or cool. You are a middle-class Englishman in his thirties.
莉:嗯,你既不年輕也不酷。你是一個三十幾歲的英國中產男子。William: Li, that's not fair! I listen to hip hop. And one of my jumpers has a hood.
威廉:莉,這不公平!我會聽嘻哈樂。我還有一件帶兜帽的毛衣呢。Li: Anyway, we have talked about a phrase now. So if you like, you can bounce now.
莉:不管怎麼說,我們已經講了一個短語。所以如果你願意的話,那你現在就可以走了。William: Right. Bouncing.
威廉:好的。我走了。Li: Now that he's gone let's relax with some nice music...
莉:既然他已經離開了,我們來聽一些優美的音樂放鬆一下……重點講解:
1. all right
令人滿意的;可接受的;
eg. Is it all right with you if we go now?
我們若現在就走,你同意嗎?
eg. 'How was school?' — 'It was all right.'
“在學校還好嗎?”——“還可以。”
2. up and down
上上下下;來來回回;
eg. He looked me up and down and then asked me a few questions.
他上下打量了我一番,然後問了我幾個問題。
eg. He was worried about his mother and walked up and down in the room.
他爲他母親擔心,便在屋裏來回走。
3. now that
既然;由於;
eg. Now that everything is set up, it is time to see how much of a difference it makes.
既然一切都已就緒,現在可以觀察它帶來了多大的差別。
eg. Now that the bubble has popped, the question is what happens to all the excess housing.
既然地產泡沫已經破滅,那麼接下來問題在於,過剩的房屋將何去何從。