迷你對話學地道口語第期:不讓某人說話,堵某人的嘴
Dialogue:
A: I have promised her to keep it a secret. I won't tell you.
我已經答應她要保守祕密的,我不會告訴你的。
B: Why? I promise you I won't tell anyone else.
怎麼啦?我保證不會告訴任何人的。
A: No, I don't trust you. I know you very well. You couldn't keep it a secret unless I put a gag on you.
不,我不相信你,我非常瞭解你,除非我能塞住你的嘴,否則不能讓你保守祕密。
一, 詞海拾貝
put a gag on someone
exp. To prevent somebody from speaking. (不讓某人說話,堵住某人的嘴)
e.g. I can put a gag on her just by telling him that I am married already to his elder brother.
我只要告訴他我已經嫁給他的哥哥了,就能堵住她們的嘴。
e.g. He gave you the money in order to put a gag on you.
他給你那筆錢是爲了堵住你的嘴。
e.g. Mary would put a gag on her right away as she spoke but she was too quick for him.
Mary 想馬上堵住她的嘴,但沒有來得及了。
二, 語彙積累
keep it a secret:守住祕密
e.g. Don't tell anyone about our plan, keep it a secret .
不要對任何人講我們的計劃,要保密。
e.g. Don't tell Dan if you want to keep it a secret as the guy's a blabbermouth.
如果你想守住這個祕密的話,就別告訴Dan,因爲那個傢伙是個大嘴巴。