當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 口語英語學習材料 > 一分鐘英語 第86期:Not Have a Leg to Stand on

一分鐘英語 第86期:Not Have a Leg to Stand on

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 9.27K 次

Welcome to English in a Minute!

歡迎來到《一分鐘英語》欄目!

Here's an idiom about arguments, and legs. Not Have a Leg to Stand on

今天欄目的內容是一個與論點和腿有關的習語。站不住腳

Let's listen to my friends talking, and using this American idiom:

大家一起聽聽我的朋友們是如何談論和使用這個美國習語的。

一分鐘英語 第86期:Not Have a Leg to Stand on

At first, the insurance company didn't believe me

起初,保險公司並不相信我,

when I said the driver ran the red light before hitting my car.

當我說司機闖了紅燈才撞到我的車時。

But, there's a video that clearly showed his car going through the red light.

但是,當時的監控視頻清楚地顯示,他的車闖了紅燈。

Oh, in that case, he doesn't have a leg to stand on!

哦,在那種情況下,司機說的話就站不住腳了。

He's going to have to pay to fix your car.

他將不得不支付你修車的錢。

Not having a leg to stand on means a person does not have any evidence to support his or her argument.

站不住腳的意思是,一個人沒有任何證據來支撐他自己的論點。

Without evidence, your argument does not stand up

沒有了證據,你的論點就不會站得住腳,

under questioning because, if you think about it, not having a leg would make it difficult to stand.

在受到質疑的情況下,這是因爲,請你想想,沒有一條腿是很難站立的。

And that's English in a Minute!

以上就是本期的《一分鐘英語》!