當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英語故事 > 中國寓言故事雙語版 第9期:五十步笑百步

中國寓言故事雙語版 第9期:五十步笑百步

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.82W 次

ing-bottom: 72.67%;">中國寓言故事雙語版 第9期:五十步笑百步

One day, King Hui of Liang met Mencius and said:

一天,梁惠王見到孟子,說:

"What a mess the political state of our neighbouring countries is in!

“你看看鄰國的政治多麼糟糕!

When they govern their states, they never think of the people.

他們治國不爲老百姓着想!

But when there is a flood in Henei, I move the victims of the calamity to Hedong.

而我每當河西鬧了災,就把災民遷到河東;

When there is a calamity in Hedong, I move the people there to Henei.

河東遭了難,我又把災民遷到河西來。

I also allocate them food for calamity relief.

還調撥糧食救濟他們。對於治理國家。

I have really done my best to govern my country."

我是盡了自己最大的努力了。”

As Mencius heard this, he nodded in agreement.

孟子聽了惠王的話,點頭表示贊同。

King Hui of Liang went on to say:

梁惠王接着說:

"Yet my population has not increased and our neighbouring countries' population has not decreased.

“可是,我的百姓人數卻沒有增加,而鄰國的百姓人數也不見得減少呀!

Tell me, what exactly is the reason?"

你說,這究竟是什麼原因?”

Mencius thought this over and replied:

孟子想了想回答說:

"Your Majesty likes wars.

“大王喜歡打仗。

Please allow me to use war as an analogy.

請允許我用打仗來打個比方吧!

On the battlefield, the sound of fighting shakes the heavens.

戰場上,殺聲震天。

The two armies are locked in a stalemate, but there is surely to be either victory or defeat.

兩軍對峙,相持不下,但是一定會有勝負。

The defeated soldiers, throwing away their helmets and armour, flee for their lives.

被打敗的士兵丟盔棄甲,抱頭逃命。其中,有的人逃了五十步就停下來。

Some of them flee 50 steps and then stop, while others flee 100 steps and stop.

有的人逃了一百步也停了下來。

Then, those who flee 50 steps laugh at those who flee 100 steps for their cowardice.

這時候,逃了五十步的人,嘲笑逃了一百步的人膽小怕死。

Your Majesty, do you think it is right to laugh?"

大王,您說這種嘲笑對不對?”

Upon hearing this, King Hui struck the table and said:

惠王聽了,拍着桌子,說:

"Of course not. No matter whether they flee 50 steps or 100 steps, they are deserters just the same."

“當然不對,不管逃五十步,還是逃一百步,一樣是逃兵啊!”

Mencius smiled and said:

孟子笑着說道:

"Your Majesty, since you understand this truth, you can notexpect your population to be larger than that of your neighbouring countries."

“大王,既然您明白這個道理,那麼您也就不要希望您的百姓會比鄰國多了。”