迷你對話學地道口語第217期:提高緊惕 密切監視
特別聲明:該節目中的迷你對話選自口語書籍,其餘本分為。
迷你對話:
A: I’ll be away for a moment.
我要離開一會兒。
B: Yes? Anything I can do for you?
是嗎?有什麼需要我幫忙嗎?
A: Look! I’v been watching that man down in the street. He keeps peeping into the shop. Keep your eyes skinned for that guy, will you?
看!我一直在注意街上的那個人,他總是往商店裏偷看,緊緊盯着那個傢伙,好嗎?
B: Ok.
好吧。
地道表達:
keep one’s eyes skinned
解詞釋義:
這是美國俚語,意思是“擦亮眼睛,提高警惕,謹慎小心,密切監視”。與之同意短語還有“keep one’s eyes peered, keep one’s eyes polished”。要表示對......提高警惕,密切監視,在短語的後面加上介詞for即可。
支持範例:
Eg. When you keep your eyes skinned, you will fine it to be a counterfeit eyewash.
你要是留意,就會發現這是一種偽造的眼藥水。
Eg. Keep your eyes skinned for a campsite!
留意找個宿營地!
Eg. A police has been keeping his eyes for the suspect's movements.
警察密切監視嫌疑犯的活動。
Eg. There are pickpockets around here, so keep your eyes skinned for them.
要提高警惕,這裏有扒手。
詞海拾貝:
1. for a moment:片刻,一會兒
Eg. May I may have your attention for a moment, please?
我想佔用你們一點點時間,可以嗎?
Eg. Let us suppose for a moment that the news is really true.
咱們姑且假設這個消息是真的。
Eg. For a moment I staggered at the price.
我聽了價錢遲疑了一會兒。
Eg. For a moment Peter felt a surge of sympathy for the older man.
一剎那間彼得對這位老頭油然產生了一種憐憫心。
2. peep into:窺視,盯着看
Eg. He squatted down to peep into the basket.
他蹲下來向籃子裏窺視了一下。
Eg. Some of the students would peep into a teacher's desk to see if the examination papers were there.
有些學生會偷看老師的桌子,看考卷是否在裏面。
Eg. He ventured to peep into the next room.
他冒險把那房間瞧了一遍。
Eg. He took a peep into (=peep into) the kitchen.
他往廚房裏看了一眼。