當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 實用生活英語口語 > The english we speak(BBC教學)第101期:To paint the town red 狂歡作樂

The english we speak(BBC教學)第101期:To paint the town red 狂歡作樂

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.26W 次

The english we speak(BBC教學)第101期:To paint the town red 狂歡作樂

Will: Hello! I'm Will. It's Friday night-time to have fun! This is the Burning Swan-my favourite pub. I'm just waiting for Li. Oh there she is. My goodness! What is she wearing this time?

威爾:大家好!我是威爾。 現在是週五晚上,是享受快樂的時間!這裏是我最喜歡的酒吧Burning Swan。我正在等李。她來了。我的天啊!她今天穿的是什麼?

Li: Hi Will.

李:你好,威爾。

Will: Hi Li! Nice... blue overalls!

威爾:你好,李!你的藍色工裝褲……很漂亮!

Li: Thank you, these are new overalls, I bought them especially for tonight.

李:謝謝你,這是我新買的工裝褲,我特意爲今晚的活動買的。

Will: Right. Okay. Li, I don't really follow fashion, but in London at least, denim overalls are really just for builders and painters and carpenters.

威爾:好吧。李,我其實不太追隨時尚,但是至少在倫敦,棉布工裝褲是建築工、粉刷工人和木匠纔會穿的。

Li: Yes! Right, where do we start, Will?

李:是啊!威爾,我們從哪裏開始呢?

Will: Eh? What? What are you doing?

威爾:啊?什麼?你要做什麼?

Li: It's definitely very dull in here.

李:這裏簡直太單調了。

Will: Why have you got a can of paint?

威爾:你爲什麼拿着一罐油漆?

Li: That wall especially. Shall we?

李:那面牆尤其單調。我們從那裏開始好嗎?

Will: Li? What are you doing? She's finally gone mad. Li!

威爾:李?你到底要做什麼?她完全瘋了。李!

Li: What's the matter?

李:怎麼了?

Will: Look, you can't just walk into places and start repainting their walls! Don't! I love that brown colour!

威爾:你看,你不能走進一些地方,然後就開始爲那裏的牆重新刷漆!不能這麼做!我喜歡那個棕色!

Li: Didn't you want it to be red?

李:你不是想讓它變成紅色的嗎?

Will: No! No-one wants it to be red!

威爾:不想!沒有人希望那面牆是紅色的!

Li: But you said that tonight we'd paint the town red-starting with this pub!

李:可是你說今晚我們要把城市漆成紅色,就從這間酒吧開始!

Will: It's an expression!

威爾:那是一個表達方式!

Li: Not again!

李:不是吧!

Will: It means that we'll go out and have a really exciting, crazy time. We'll paint the town red-it just means we'll have fun, not actually paint things. Let's listen to some examples.

威爾:這個短語的意思是我們要出去玩,度過非常刺激又瘋狂的時光。我們要把城鎮染紅,其實這句話的意思是我們要出去玩樂,而不是實際去刷漆。我們來聽一些例子。

It's my daughter's birthday today. She's gone out with her friends. I expect they'll paint the town red!

今天是我女兒的生日。她和朋友們出去玩了。我希望他們能玩得痛快!

Go on, come out with me tonight, let's paint the town red!

來吧,今晚和我出去玩吧,我們去狂歡吧!

We had a crazy night on Saturday, we painted the town red.

週六我們度過了一個瘋狂的夜晚,我們玩得特別盡興。

Li: So now, Will, tell me about all this crazy fun we're meant to have. What's your idea of painting the town red?

李:現在,威爾,跟我說說我們要怎麼作樂吧。你要怎麼狂歡?

Will: Well we drink, we dance, we laugh loudly, we meet people, we stay up all night.

威爾:我們喝酒、跳舞、大聲歡笑,見各種人,整晚不睡。

Li: Hmm. I'd still rather just paint. Let's just do this one wall.

李:嗯。我寧願刷漆。我們就刷這一面牆。

Will: No, Li, stop, stop we'll get arrested.

威爾:不要,李,停下來,停下來,我們會被捕的。

Li: Isn't that colour so much better?

李:這個顏色更好看,不是嗎?

Will: No! No! Look, stop it! You'll ruin our night out!

威爾:不,不要!快停下來!你會毀了我們的夜晚的!

Li: It's beautiful!

李:多漂亮啊!

Will: Li! Stop!

威爾:李!停下來!

重點講解
1. go mad
發瘋;發狂;
eg. The insult made him go mad as a March hare.
這種侮辱把他給氣瘋了。
eg. Kings go mad and the people suffer for it.
〔諺語〕國王發狂,百姓遭殃。
2. paint the town red
(多指夜生活中的)狂歡作樂;痛飲狂歡;
eg. He is going out tonight to paint the town red.
他今天晚上要玩個痛快。
eg. So when it comes to the weekend, I usually hang out in pubs or clubs with my buddies and paint the town red!
因此每到週末,我通常都會和我的朋友去酒吧或者俱樂部狂歡。
3. go out
外出交際;外出娛樂;
eg. I'm going out tonight.
我今晚要出去玩。
eg. It will be a marvellous occasion and they should go out and enjoy it.
這是個好時機,他們應該出去痛快地玩一玩。
4. be meant to do sth.
理應發生;應該做某事;
eg. Life is a journey that is meant to be experienced in full.
生活是一次旅行,人們應該完整地體驗它。
eg. The papers are meant to be think pieces , but not day-dreaming pieces.
我們希望學生經過思考去完成論文,而非憑空想像去完成。
5. stay up
深夜不睡;熬夜;
eg. I used to stay up late with my mom and watch movies.
我以前總是和媽媽一起熬夜看電影。
eg. I am going to stay up late to finish my paper.
爲了完成報告我打算熬夜不睡。
6. would rather do sth.
寧願;寧可做某事;
eg. They want a house, whereas we would rather live in a flat.
他們想要一座房子,而我們寧願住在一套房間裏。
eg. He said he would rather stay at home.
他說他情願留在家裏。