留學英語口語 第12期:申請獎學金
SHARON: How can I help you today, Alice?
夏倫:我今天能幫你些什麼,艾麗斯?ALICE: Well, I came to talk to you because I want to apply for a scholarship.
艾麗斯:嗯,我來是因為我想申請獎學金。SHARON: Oh, good. You're an excellent student.I'd be very willing to help you with that.
夏倫:喔,好的。你是一個很好的學生。我非常願意幫你。
ALICE: Thanks. I really appreciate fact, I do need a letter of recommendation for this scholarship.
艾麗斯:謝謝你。我真的很感激。事實上,我是需要一封申請獎學金的推薦信。SHARON: What kind of scholarship is it?
夏倫:是什麼樣的獎學金?ALICE: It's an undergraduate scholarship offered by the American Minority Students Scholarship Association.I'm eligible for it because I'm Asian American.
艾麗斯:是一個大學生獎學金由美國少數民族學生獎學金協會所提供。我之所以符合申請是因為我是亞裔美人。SHARON: Fine. I know about that have to be a student in your junior year,and you have to have a grade point average of 3.7 or higher.
夏倫:好。我知道有關獎學金的事。你必須是三年級學生,而且你的平均成績要在 3.7 或是更高。ALICE: I'm a junior now, and my GPA is 3.92.
艾麗斯:我現在是三年級,而且我的平均成績是 3.92。SHARON: Excellent. So you'll have a good chance of getting it.
夏倫:太好了。所以你有很好的機會拿到它。ALICE: Well, I hope so. The competition is probably pretty they want a writing sample too.
艾麗斯:我也希望,可是競爭也很大。他們希望要有寫作的樣品。SHARON: Do you have an essay you want to send them?
夏倫:你有作品可以寄給他們嗎?ALICE: No, they want a special essay.I must write an essay on a particular question they pose.
艾麗斯:沒有,他們要比較特別的學術性文章。我必須寫一篇他們所提出的探討某一特定問題的文章。SHARON: What is the question?
夏倫:問題是什麼?ALICE: They give applicants a topic is, "The Place of Ethnic Minorities in a Democratic Society."My essay must be three pages typed and double-spaced.
艾麗斯:他們給申請人一個題目。題目是"少數民族在民主社會的地位。"我的文章必須要有三頁紙長,用打字機打好以及使用兩倍行距。SHARON: That's a pretty short essay.
夏倫:那是一篇很短的文章。ALICE: Yes, but I need to write it by next week.
艾麗斯:是的,但我需要在下星期以前寫好。SHARON: Good luck. I'm sure you will do a good job.
夏倫:祝你好運。我很確定你會做得很好。ALICE: I came here today to talk to you because... Well, I need to ask two favors.
艾麗斯:我今天來跟你談是因為……嗯,我想要請你幫兩個忙。SHARON: Sure. What are they?
夏倫:好啊。是些什麼?ALICE: First, I need a letter of recommendation.
艾麗斯:首先,我需要一封推薦信。SHARON: I'd be happy to write one for you.
夏倫:我很樂意幫你寫。ALICE: And second.... Well, I'm not sure if it's normal.
艾麗斯:第二……嗯,我不確定這是否可以。SHARON: What is it? Do you want me to read your essay?
夏倫:是什麼?你要我看你的文章嗎?ALICE: Yes, if you could.I mean, if you could read it to make sure there are no maybe you'd have some suggestions.
艾麗斯:是的,如果你可以的話。我的意思是,如果你能幫我看並確認沒有問題。或是你可以給一些建議。SHARON: Of course I could read it. That's no problem. But you need to get it to me soon.
夏倫:當然我可以看。那沒有問題,但是你需要快一點給我。ALICE: I will. I want to write the first draft I could bring it tomorrow morning.
艾麗斯:我會的。我晚上會寫初稿。這樣我明天一早就可以給妳了。SHARON: Alright. If you can bring it to me tomorrow morning,I can talk with you after class on I'll have some feedback for you before the weekend.
夏倫:好的。如果你明天一早就可以給我我可以在星期五下課後告訴你。那麼我可以在週末前給你一些反饋。ALICE: That would really help me a lot. I'm very grateful.
艾麗斯:這真的給我很大的幫助,我真的很感謝你。SHARON: Don't mention it. I'm always willing to help good students.
夏倫:別客氣。我很樂意幫助好學生。