美語情景對話 第284期:Japan 日本
Todd: Hello, what is your name?
託德:你好,你叫什麼名字?Hitoshi: My name is Hitoshi Fukuda.
仁志:我叫福田仁志。Todd: Hitoshi
託德:仁志。
Hitoshi: Mm-hm.
仁志:嗯。Todd: I'm sorry. What's your last name?
託德:抱歉,你的姓是什麼?Hitoshi: Fukuda.
仁志:福田。Todd: Fukuda.
託德:福田。Hitoshi: Mm-hm.
仁志:嗯。Todd: And where are you from?
託德:你來自哪裏?Hitoshi: Well, I'm originally from a city called Utsunomiya.
仁志:嗯,我在一個叫做宇都宮的城市出生。Todd: Uh-huh.
託德:啊哈。Hitoshi: It's north of Tokyo.
仁志:位於東京北邊。Todd: Oh, nice.
託德:嗯,很好。Hitoshi: But, when I was ten I moved to Uwara, which is in Saitama.
仁志:不過我十歲的時候搬到浦和市去了,那裏位於埼玉縣。Todd: OK.
託德:好。Hitoshi: And I've been there ever since.
仁志:自那以後我一直在那座城市生活。Todd: OK. me about your country. Tell me about Japan.
託德:好。嗯,跟我説説你的祖國吧。跟我説説日本的情況。Hitoshi: Japan? Well, it's a very crowded country, a lot of people. And it's very small in terms of the size you know of the area. It's actually smaller than California.
仁志:日本?嗯,這是一個非常擁擠的國家,有許多人。而且你可能聽説過,領土面積很小。實際上比加州還小。Todd: Wow. Wow.
託德:哇。哇。Hitoshi: And then, two-thirds of the area is covered by forests.
仁志:還有,日本國土的三分之二被森林覆蓋。Todd: 's good. I love forests. I love forests. How many people live in Japan?
託德:這很好。我喜歡森林。我喜歡森林。日本有多少人口?Hitoshi: About 120,000,000.
仁志:大約1.2億人。Todd: Wow.
託德:哇!Hitoshi: Yeah. Just about 125,000,000. It's about half the population of the states.
仁志:對。大概1.25億吧。是美國人口的一半。Todd: Man! And what is the capital city?
託德:那首都是哪裏?Hitoshi: It's Tokyo.
仁志:東京。Todd: Tokyo. And who is the leader of the country?
託德:東京。日本領導人是誰?Hitoshi: It's Koizumi.
仁志:小泉。Todd: Koizumi.
託德:小泉。Hitoshi: The Prime Minister. Yes.
仁志:是首相。對。重點講解:
1. ever since
自從;打…以後一直;
eg. He's been there ever since you left!
自從你離開後他就一直在那裏!
eg. Ever since we moved last year, I worry a lot about whether I can handle this new job.
自從去年我們搬家,我就一直非常擔心能否做好這份新工作。
2. in terms of
在…方面;從…角度看;根據…來説;
eg. It was a bad year for films, in terms of both quantity and quality.
今年的電影無論從數量上還是質量上都説不上好。
eg. It is difficult to express it in terms of science.
要用科學的字眼來表達它是很困難的。
3. know of
聽説過;略有耳聞;
eg. We know of the incident but have no further details.
我們聽説過這件事,但對詳情不是很清楚。
eg. I know of the man, but I've never spoken to him.
我知道這個人,不過從來沒有和他説過話。