迷你對話學地道口語第1354期:無意中觸及敏感話題;觸及痛處
第一,迷你對話
A: How is your family?
你全家還好吧?
B: My husband was gone last year.
我丈夫去年去世了。
A: I am sorry. I am afraid I have touched a nerve.
對不起,我恐怕問了不該問的問題。
B: Never mind. I can face the music.
不要緊,我能夠面對現實。
A: You are really strong.
你真堅強。
第二,地道表達
touch a nerve
1. 解詞釋義
Touch a nerve的意思是“觸及心靈的痛處”“無意中觸及敏感話題”。
2. 拓展範例
E.g. Bob Dylan touch a nerve of disaffection.
鮑勃·狄藍觸及那些大家都不滿意的敏感的問題。
E.g. Your column must have touched a nerve, because we are getting slammed with feedback from readers—and they're not happy.
你的專欄觸及了一些敏感話題,因為我們受到讀者的反饋的猛烈的抨擊,他們很不開心。
E.g. I could tell he was touching a raw nerve when he brought up Jane's former employer and Jane went silent for a moment.
當他提及Jane的前僱傭者的時候,我告訴他説了到不該説的事情,但是Jane沉默了一會兒。
E.g. I realized I had touched a nerve with my remarks.
我意識到了我的評論觸及到了敏感話題。
第三,視野拓展
face the music:面對現實
E.g. After he was caught with the stolen goods, he had to face the music.
他偷竊物品被逮到,他必須接受應得的懲罰。
E.g. Well, David, I think you should go home and face the music.
哎,大衞,我覺得你應該回家去,接受批評。
E.g. Mr. Allen betrayed a top secret, and had to face the music.
艾倫先生泄露一項最高機密,因而必須接受責罰。
E.g. You've been caught cheating now you must face the music.
你的騙局已經戳穿--這下子你得自食其果了。
never mind:沒關係,不要緊
E.g. Never mind what he said, I want your opinion.
別理會他的話,我想聽聽你的意見。
E.g. "Then let it be, and never mind, father," she said with dignified sorrow.
“那麼就由它去吧,您別擔心,爸。”她帶着一種莊嚴的悲哀説道。
E.g. Never mind the rest. I follow your general idea.
不必説下去了,我一概遵命就是了。
第四,口語表述
表示某人去世了。
Sb. is gone.