雙語美文:他曾有一個取名“奇蹟”的女兒
Today after work,
今天下班後
as I was driving home,
我驅車回家
I realized my brake wasn't working.
忽然發現,車上的剎車失靈了
I started to panic
我開始陷入恐慌
and managed to pull over,
總算停下了車子
luckily
十分幸運
without crashing into anything
沒有撞上任何障礙物
(or anyone).
也沒有撞到任何人
It started to rain
這時開始下雨
and get dark.
天也黑了
Our campus happens to be in an urban area.
我讀書的校區遠在市中心
I am a medical student.
我是一個醫學院的學生
I have a 19-year old car.
開着一輛已經服役19年的老車
And now
而此刻
I found myself parked right in front of the hospital helicopter pad
我發現自己正停在一座醫院門前的直升機停機坪上
during traffic
正是交通高峯
so I knew
我知道
I had to move my car immediately
自己必須立刻把車挪開
(without the brake).
而且還沒有剎車
Poetic...
壓力山大!
As I was struggling to figure out what to do,
正當我想破腦殼尋找辦法的時候
a middle-aged black man knocked on my car window
一位非裔的中年男子敲了敲我的車窗
and asked me
他問我
if I needed help.
我是不是需要幫助
I rolled down the window
我把車窗降下來
and explained to him
向他解釋
what happened.
發生了什麼
He said
他説
it could be that
或許事情的原由
I was out of brake fluid
是因為我車上的剎車油用完了
because that happened to his daughter's car.
因為他女兒的車也發生過這樣的情況
I thanked him for his help.
我感謝他的幫助
This man later came back
不多時,這個男人又走回來
with a bottle of brake fluid.
還帶着一瓶剎車油
Not only did he go and buy it with his own money,
他不僅親自為我去買了剎車油,自己掏腰包
he helped me open up the hood,
還幫我打開頂蓋
put the fluid in,
把剎車油倒了進去
and then
隨後
he knelt down on the wet ground
他雙膝跪在濕滑的路面上
to inspect the brake seal in the rain.
冒着雨幫我檢查剎車密封
I offered to pay for the brake fluid,
我提出要把買剎車油的錢還給他
but he refused to take my money.
他卻拒絕收我的錢
As I reached out to shake his hand,
我伸出手,想要與他握手的時候
which now was covered in grease from my car,
我發現他的手沾滿了車上的油污
I found out
我得知
that he once had a daughter,
他曾經有一個女兒
and her name was Miracle...
她的名字叫“奇蹟”
I will not forget his kindness.
我永不會忘記他的善良