迷你對話學地道口語第1994期:以其人之道換其人之身,以牙還牙
Dialogue:
A: John beat me black and blue yesterday.
約翰把我打得鼻青臉腫。
B: Why?
為什麼?
A: Because I told the teacher about his cheating in the exam.
因為我告訴老師他考試作弊。
B: He goes too far.
他太過分了。
A: I'm determined to pay him back in his own coin.
我想以牙還牙。
B: You can never do that.
你千萬別那麼樣。
一, 詞海拾貝
pay someone back him one’s own coin(以其人之道還治其人之身,以牙還牙)
e.g. He was determined to take revenge; to pay them back in their own coin for the wrongs they had done to him.
他發誓要報復——他們對他做了那麼多壞事,他要以其人之道還治其人之身。
e.g Last time I went to see him, he gave me a cool reception. And today I am going to pay him back in the his coin.
他在上次我去看他時,他待我很冷淡,所以我今天要以其人之道還治其人之身。
e.g. My boyfriend always arrives late. Last night I decided to pay him back in his own coin by keeping him waiting for half an hour.
因為我的男朋友約會總是遲到,所以我昨晚決定以牙還牙治他一下,讓他等了半小時。
e.g. I told her if she did me any harm I would pay her back in her own coin for tat.
我告訴她如果她傷害我,我會對她以牙還牙的。
二, 語彙積累
1. black and blue :遍體鱗傷的,青一塊紫一塊的
e.g. He said he'd cowhide me till I was black and blue if I didn't raise some money for him.
他説要是我不弄點錢給他,他就得把我揍得渾身發青發紫。
e.g. The smugglers pounced on him and beat him black and blue.
走私販們一擁而上,把他打得遍體鱗傷。
2. cheat in the exam:考試作弊
e.g. Geroge cheated in the science exam.
喬治在自然科考試中作弊。
e.g. The professor was angry at John for cheating in the exam.
教授對約翰考試作弊十分氣惱。
3. go too far:做得過分
e.g. Don' t go too far in the matter, you may get into trouble if you do.
這件事別做得太過分了,否則你會招來麻煩的。